Our vision for our future at 7 George St., architectural renderings & floor plans of the building, inspirational videos, as well as the financial details of the campaign & how you can be a part of it.
For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.
The commitment phase of our Made for This campaign remains open, and the giving phase continues through the end of 2019. All of the information about the project can be found below, and we encourage you to come back frequently to check out the updates.
I vividly remember the phone call more than 15 years ago from some leaders at Harvest Chicago inviting me, Cheryl, and our young family to move to Barrie and plant a church. Though there were a number of details that still needed to be worked out before we would end up here, we knew from the moment that phone call came that we were made for this opportunity. This is what we had been waiting for, and why we were willing to leave a great church and the only home our kids had ever known to start something new.
Fast forward, and God has been doing a great work in and through Harvest Barrie for a decade and a half now. We see evidence of that all around us: in those who have come to saving faith in Christ, in hundreds of baptism stories, in marriages that have been restored, in children and students who have grown up in our midst and gone on to live for Jesus, in grace that has carried people through dark and difficult times, in the new churches we have helped to launch and the established ones we have encouraged, in the impact we have been privileged to make in our community and in a few places around the world—in all those whose lives have been transformed by the Spirit of God.
We have so much for which to be grateful! It is only because of God’s goodness and greatness that what began in September 2001 as a fledgling group of people meeting in a rundown community centre is now a thriving local church. It would be easy to settle in, get comfortable, and coast toward our future. But Harvest Barrie isn’t that kind of church. We will never be happy with the status quo, with business as usual. We will always be asking God, “What else can we do for you?”
We have proven over the years that the church is not a place but a people; that our home is not an earthly building but an eternal destination. We have never used our lack of a permanent facility as an excuse to not be engaged all-out in pursuing our mission. But we also recognize that the right tool in the right hands at the right time can enable us to go further faster. And so we find ourselves at this defining moment in our history, firmly convinced that having our own building 24-7-365 is the needed next step.
In fact, I am not exaggerating to say that our purpose as Christ followers and our mandate as a local church are directly tied to the acquisition and build out of 7 George Street. As we seek to fulfill Jesus’ final marching orders from Matthew 28:19-20, also known as the Great Commission, our King calls us to use our time, talents, and treasures in strategic ways to advance his kingdom.
I am convinced that we are made for this . . .
- Made to glorify God
- Made to share the good news
- Made to make disciples
- Made to plant churches
- Made to show compassion
- Made to be an uncommon community in here
- Made to impact our local community out there
And I know this because Paul wrote in Ephesians 2:10, “For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them.” We are made for this! And our Made for This campaign to renovate 7 George Street is about facilitating those good works, accelerating our impact, and stewarding all that God has entrusted to us as individuals and as a church.
I invite you to join Cheryl and me on this exciting adventure!
November 18, 2018
In early 2016, we acquired the Army Navy Air Force Club at 7 George Street in Barrie. This well-known and well-constructed facility in the heart of our city has approximately 30,000 square feet of space that can be utilized for ministry. Renovations of the first floor are now complete. There are an additional 3,200 square feet of space in 7A, which have been repurposed for staff offices.
We believe that 7 George Street enhances our ability to fulfill our mission by providing us with . . .
- a functional space in which we can create amazing worship experiences
- a dedicated room for prayer, without which nothing else matters
- an exciting complex for children and youth to grow in their knowledge of Christ
- a rallying point for uncommon community
- an outreach hub from which to show compassion to the city of Barrie
- a training facility for leaders
- a central base from which to establish future regional campuses
- a launch pad for global church planting
As Christ followers, we are made for this ministry and, in a real sense, 7 George Street is made for this too. It adequately meets our needs both now and into the future.
We don’t want to give undue attention to a facility. To be clear: We aren’t building a cathedral or shrine. We aren’t making it the focal point of anything. We aren’t considering this the end game as if, once we get there, we have now arrived.
Design & Build Team Chair
Design & Build Team Member
We are grateful for the excellent contributions of our many construction and financial partners on this project.
- Alpha Enterprises Corp.
- Andrew Stringer Painting Services
- Astro Kitchens
- AVLI [Audio Video Lighting Integration Inc.]
- Barrie Equipment Sales Inc.
- Barrie Glass & Mirror Ltd.
- Barrie Welding & Machining
- Michael Bermudez
- Blair’s At Work Office Furniture
- Allan Borgdorff
- Andrew Boyce
- Jason Brooks
- By Design Commercial Moving Solutions
- Central Painting Inc.
- Choice Office Installations Inc.
- Cintas Canada Limited
- Christian Stewardship Services
- ComforTek Seating Inc.
- C. N. Construction Ltd.
- Colorworks (Barrie)
- Craftsmanship Construction Inc.
- Ben DeBoer
- DeVries Technical Services Inc.
- Dickinson + Hicks Architects Inc.
- Elevator One Inc.
- Flagsource Canada
- Flooring By Design & Reno Ltd.
- Forest City Fire Protection Ltd.
- Glen’s Sweeping
- Bob Gnay
- Ground FX Grading & Sod
- Gym-Con Ltd.
- Hapamp Elmvale Ltd.
- Harris Plumbing
- H.J. Woodworks
- Gus Karvonniaris
- Lavallee Concrete Finishing Inc.
- Light’n Sign
- LPA Moveable Partition Specialists Ltd.
- Marsden’s Distinctive Awards Inc.
- Melmart Distributing Inc.
- Midhurst Roofing Ltd.
- Monument Restoration Ltd.
- Morcas Construction & Carpentry
- Murray Mechanical Systems Ltd.
- Napoleon Home Comfort
- Newman Hardware Inc.
- North Point Wall Systems
- Northern Safety Ltd.
- Nor-Weld Ltd.
- Oakwood Construction Management Group
- OFS Group
- Pierre Ouellette
- Palermo Railings
- Pantene Building Supply
- Angelo Papania
- Pat Lalonde Fencing
- Raldy Pineda
- Propol Tile Ltd.
- Professional Window Cleaning
- R.A. Archer
- Rainer’s Siding & Installation Ltd.
- Regional Caulking Solutions
- Road Readie Paving
- Robertson Hall Insurance Inc.
- G.E. Sallows Corp.
- Schoolhouse Products Inc.
- Seal Tight Caulking
- Sexton’s Mechanical Ltd.
- Sheridan Seating Inc.
- Star Canada Shades
- Simcoe Building Centre
- S & S Contracting
- Stewards Canada
- Surelock Homes
- The Look Company
- Turpin Lumber
- T.H.H. Contracting
- Thyssenkrupp Elevator (Canada) Ltd.
- TNT Contracting
- Uline Canada Corporation
- Vessel Design
- Wallwin Electric Services
- Wallwin Integrated Systems
- Weston Tile
- Zion Stone Inc.
What is our goal?
The purchase cost of 7 George Street ($3.35 million) was funded through a combination of cash on hand and mortgage financing. We are grateful to God for making this strategic acquisition possible. And now we are asking him, and asking each of us, to provide what is needed to renovate the building and get it ready for ministry.
Our initial financial goal for the Made for This campaign was $1.8 million through the end of 2019. We believed that this amount would enable us to carry out the first phase of our plan for 7 George Street, refreshing the exterior and renovating the first floor (about 25,000 square feet).
In God’s goodness, we exceeded this goal multiple times, with three-year commitments totalling $3.2 million! Truly incredible! But as we eventually came to realize, our initial estimate of the cost of the first phase of renovations was significantly less than the actual need. God clearly knew this in advance and provided beyond what we could ask or imagine.
Even with this amazing outpouring of generosity, we have numerous unfunded projects as part of our overall plans for 7 George Street, most importantly the renovation of our second floor. We would love to see our new Harvest attendees, plus any who did not participate in the first wave of Made for This, get on board and make a financial commitment.
Sacrifice is giving up something I love
for something I love more.
How can I participate?
Our Made for This campaign runs through December 2019. Every gift will be received and recorded in an appropriate manner, and a tax receipt will be issued at the end of each year.
You could find resources to give in several different ways:
- Savings. Give from your accumulated resources (investments, RRSPs, etc.) and trust God to replenish them over time.
- Spend Less. Think through your household budget and find places where you could reduce your ongoing expenses to free up money for the campaign.
- Skip Something. Is there a larger purchase that you could put off for now and instead reallocate those funds? Maybe delay that big vacation, next car purchase, or new TV.
- Sell Something. Perhaps you have an item (car, boat, property, cottage, jewellery, etc.) that you could liquidate and then give the proceeds to the campaign.
- Sweat It Out. Could you pick up some extra shifts or overtime at work? If you are self-employed or a business owner, could you work harder than ever before and ask God to bring an increase?
- Step Out. Trust the Lord to provide in a way that you can’t fully see right now. Say to him, “If you put it in my hand, I will put it in your house.”
What are my next steps?
We are encouraging everyone who is part of the Harvest Barrie family to do the following:
- Pray. Prayer expresses our dependence upon God and our submission to his will and his ways. Ask him what part he would want you to play financially in the campaign.
- Consider. Take some time to evaluate your financial resources. Be creative in how you could free up additional funds for the campaign. If you are married, talk (and pray) through all of this very honestly with your spouse so that you are on the same page.
- Commit. Make a financial commitment using the form below for the remaining months through December 2019. This is what you believe God will enable you to do over-and-above your regular giving.
- Give. Whatever God puts in your heart to do, do it! Give generously and sacrificially out of your love for the Lord, for his church, and for the mission. You can give through all of our regular means: cash, cheque, debit machine, pre-authorized offerings, online banking, and credit card donations. See below for more info.
Yes, I want to do my part!
If you are married, please include the names and contact information for both you and your spouse.
Moses said to all the congregation of the people of Israel, “This is the thing that the Lord has commanded. Take from among you a contribution to the Lord. Whoever is of a generous heart, let him bring the Lord’s contribution: gold, silver, and bronze”… And they came, everyone whose heart stirred him, and everyone whose spirit moved him, and brought the Lord’s contribution to be used for the tent of meeting and for all its service…So the people were restrained from bringing, for the material they had was sufficient to do all the work, and more.
Exodus 35:4-5, 21; 36:7
Ways to Give
In addition to giving via cash, cheque, or debit machine at our weekend worship services (designating the donation to our Building Fund), you can give online anytime in three ways:
If you have any questions, please contact Wendy Brouwer, our staff Finance Director.
Frequently Asked Questions
Based on the available parking and the size of the building, our target number is 600 people on site (in the worship centre and Harvest Kids) per service. The worship centre has 460 chairs, with room for a few more if absolutely needed.
This is a smallish site, just 2.5 acres in total. That said, it is completely built-out with no setbacks, green space, islands, or walkways. It is essentially building and pavement, which allows us to maximize parking. On site we have approximately 220 parking spots, and with additional on-street and business parking nearby, we can adequately accommodate our target of 600 people per service.
The second floor of the main building has about 5000 square feet of space. It is presently being utilized as-is, but we hope sometime in 2019 to renovate the upstairs to include: a large group room with food service area for youth and other ministry functions, three good-sized classrooms, a meeting room, washrooms, and a large lounge area. This additional space will facilitate continued growth and concurrent programming in our ministries.
Not at all—the Made for This campaign is still going strong! In fall 2016, our Harvest family made three-year giving commitments toward the renovations of 7 George Street, so the campaign continues through the end of 2019. Many new people have joined our church since then. All are invited to help fund the vision that God has entrusted to us.